Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Toilet problem


This is a story about our house helper, Dolma. In our home when she uses the bathroom, she always leaves the seat up. It always bothers me because in my culture the only people that leave the seat up are men. So I started asking my other friends if they have this problem. They said that Nepali people are not used to sitting on toilets because they only use squatty potties, which I do not have a picture of. Next time I am out, I will have to take a picture of one and post it. I will try to describe it. It is like the toilet in the picture except that it is on the ground. Basically two steps with a hole in the middle. Some have a way to flush them and others don't. For the ones that don't you just juse a bucket of water to flush. Anyway. We learned that Dolma, lifts up the seat and stands and squats on the toilet to use the bathroom. So while we were in India, we found a perfect solution to our problem. We found a toilet that have a place to put your feet, but it also has a seat shaped just the same, for those who prefer sitting.

1 comment:

scott said...

so you have to sit where someone stands on the toilet? that must be very awkward to be in the air (up on the toilet) while standing on the toilet.